Thursday, October 22, 2009

Storyboarding

Attempting to write out/organize the story floating around in my head.

I'm having difficulty not getting caught up in the details (camera movements/cuts, technical issues), and focusing on the broad story points and environments. Think I will go out to askwith tonight and check out the "Beckett on Film" DVD that John Marshall suggested. Hopefully checking out some minimalistic set design will help me to clarify what I will need to include and what I will be able to toss.

The other, and potentially more serious problem, that I am having at the moment revolves around my tendency to opt for more literal visual representations of the experience that I am exploring. As it was said earlier today "enlightened states are anything but literal", but the problem that I see with completely eliminating the potentially cliche, but recognizable, elements is that the animation might become unintelligible to anyone unfamiliar with its subject matter. But then the question is, do I care? Should I care? At this point I don't even know if the project I have undertaken was something that was meant to be understood in the first place. I am interested in the fact that this experience is beyond general understanding, so is it a futile effort to try and make something decipherable? Could be.

At this point the animation is more about the atmosphere: ethereal, surreal, unabashedly visual. I guess it will just evolve from there.

1 comment:

  1. I agree its difficult to talk about enlightenment without being cliche, so maybe try to see what it means to you and trying to reach it. Maybe the animation is a reflection upon a journey.

    ReplyDelete